Saturday, July 29, 2006

Educational Computer Game Production (Where to start?)

I've started the planning process for my capping project.I met yesterday with my program head Mike Carbonaro and Elaine Greidanus who will be helping me with my paper. I'm going to hook up with the Computing Sciences department at the University of Alberta to work on building a computer game using the Neverwinter Nights Aurora tool set.

My biggest worry right now is the engagement level of the game. Will I be able to have my students buy into the characters and situations I'm going to create. I'm trying to focus on the question of "who you hope to become" (Squire & Jenkins, 2003, p. 5) for my students. In this question and its answer I see the best hope for capturing and holding their interest. I also think that this question will be the hardest to answer because I'm dealing with two different gender interests.

When I have played games I'm usually focussed on becoming the strongest/fastest/smartest hero with the coolest weapons and spells. After reading "From Barbie to Mortal Kombat: Gender and Computer Games" I'm feeling a little unsure about being able to reach female players. I'll plug away at it, after all I've got a whole ten months.

I have to say that I became most excited about the game production after reading an article presented at the DIGRa

Not exactly APA but if you need more email or leave me a comment. If you want the Carbonaro article email me.

Carbonaro et al. (2006) Adapting a Commercial Role-Playing Game for Educational Computer Game Production.
Cassell, J. & Jenkins, H., eds., (2005?) From Barbie to Mortal Kombat. Cambridhge, Massachusetts: MIT Press.
Squire, K, &Jenkins H. (2003) Harnessing the Power of Games in Education: InSight, Volume 3.

2 comments:

Jeremiah McNichols said...

What software will you be using to develop your game?

Mr.Ball said...

I'll be using ScripTease to edit and create environments in the NeverWinter Nights gaming environment. To find scriptease search for University of Alberta and ScripTease. It takes a little getting used to but it is well worth it.