Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Dr. Bette Gray

Dr. Bette Gray the Director, Stakeholder Technology Branch, Alberta Education will be in tomorrow. I'm going to try and think of some questions about how the Stakeholder Technology Branch of Alberta Education can support me in my research around video games and transparency.

Dr. Gray is investing her time in Alberta Education so that she can make changes from the top down. Dr. Gray used the Polo Parable as an introduction to tech integration. I feel that her vision of integration/infusion matched many of my cohort members idea of how we should use ICT. The trouble is that many of us have to deal with leadership who are sometimes just happy that the network is up. We discussed the troubles with assessment of ICT outcomes and the lack of clear examples teachers are given. Apparently Dr. Gray has been working on a paper at Alberta Ed. that has shares ideas on how teachers can better integrate and assess. I'll be watching for it.

Right now I've got two things on my plate. I'm building my rubric for assessing COTS games and their use in the classroom and I'm working on my Contentious issue paper for my Humanities and Tech class: The contentious issue paper is based around:
"The Fellowship of the Microchip." In Globalization: Culture and Education in the New Millenium, Marcelo M. Suarez-Orozco and Desiree Baolian Qin-Hilliard (eds.). Berkeley:University of California Press/Ross Institute, 2004. (Are there APA guidelines for blogger qoutes, would you trust the qoute?)

There are many aspects of the digital games which would be negatively effected by transparency. I'm going to take three out of the twelve elements from chapter five of Prensky's book Digital Game Based Learning; Rules, Interaction, and Outcomes and feedback. I only have two pages (single spaced) to bring forward my contentious issue.

No comments: